The Class 4 Epsom Handicap Flat Race is the fifth race that takes place at Epsom Downs Racecourse for The Epsom August Afternoon Racing meeting every year.
The August Afternoon Racing is a one-day flat racing event that features the likes of The Nursery Flat Race, The EBF Maiden Stakes, and The Class 3 Handicap on a warm summer afternoon every August.
Epsom Downs Racecourse, located on the idyllic Epsom Downs in Surrey, is the magnificent venue for this thrilling raceday, which can handle up to 130,000 spectators at a time.
The August Afternoon Racing takes place only a few months after the venue’s most prestigious race, the Epsom Derby Festival, while the buzz of this phenomenal occasion is still lingering around the venue.
The Epsom August Afternoon Racing meeting will take place on Tuesday the 31st of August 2021. For all of The Epsom August Afternoon Racing’s news and ticket information, sign up for The Jockey Club’s newsletter at https://www.thejockeyclub.co.uk/newsletter/.
About The Race
The Class 4 Epsom Handicap Flat Race is a Class 4 handicap flat race that serves as the fifth race at The August Afternoon Racing every year.
The Class 4 Epsom Handicap Flat Race, which is open to horses aged three and over, takes place over seven furlongs and three yards at Epsom Downs Racecourse and featured eleven runners last time out.
Last time out, £12,200 was up for grabs, and it was split by the first four horses to reach the finish line. Here’s how much each placement position received:
1st place – 8/1 Key Player (GB) – £7,116
2nd place – 7/1 Juanito Chico (IRE) – £2,118
3rd place – 13/2 Highland Acclaim (IRE) – £1,058
4th place – 25/1 Black Medick (GB) – £529
On Tuesday, August 31st, 2021, at approximately 16:20, the Class 4 Epsom Handicap Flat Race will begin.
Eleven runners took part in this exhilarating race last time out and whether you’re a big fan of elite flat racing or just like to get involved with betting, there’s a good chance you’ll recognise a few of the names on the racecard- whether that be the horses, jockeys or trainers.
Here are the runners, their starting prices and how they fared in this fantastic race at Epsom’s August Afternoon Racing at Epsom Downs Racecourse last time out in 2019 (ordered by saddlecloth number):
- Swift Approval (IRE) – sixth-place finish – 9/2 starting price – weighing in at 10-0 – ridden by jockey Andrea Atzeni and trained by Stuart Williams
- Key Player (GB) – first-place finish – 8/1 starting price – weighing in at 9-13 – ridden by jockey Charles Bishop and trained by Eve Johnson Houghton
- Maksab (IRE) – fifth-place finish – 7/1 starting price – weighing in at 9-13 – ridden by jockey Scott McCullagh and trained by Mick Channon
- Mamillius (GB) – seventh-place finish – 11/2 starting price – weighing in at 9-12 – ridden by jockey Pat Cosgrave and trained by George Baker
- Kachumba (GB) – ninth-place finish – 9/1 starting price – weighing in at 9-8 – ridden by jockey Adam Kirby and trained by Rae Guest
- Dream Catching (IRE) – eighth-place finish – 11/2 starting price – weighing in at 9-7 – ridden by jockey William Carver and trained by Andrew Balding
- Mujassam (GB) – tenth-place finish – 12/1 starting price – weighing in at 9-7 – ridden by jockey Cieren Fallon and trained by Sophie Leech
- Highland Acclaim (IRE) – third-place finish – 13/2 starting price – weighing in at 9-6 – ridden by jockey Harry Bentley and trained by David O’Meara
- Juanito Chico (IRE) – second-place finish – 7/1 starting price – weighing in at 9-3 – ridden by jockey David Probert and trained by Michael Attwater
- Black Medick (GB) – fourth-place finish – 25/1 starting price – weighing in at 8-12 – ridden by jockey Hector Crouch and trained by Laura Mongan
- Incentive (GB) – eleventh-place finish – 25/1 starting price – weighing in at 8-11 – ridden by jockey Liam Keniry and trained by Stuart Kittow
The Class 4 Epsom Handicap Flat Race, as well as the other races on the Epsom August Afternoon Racing meeting’s fixture list, offer a great chance to wager on some top-notch flat race horse racing.
All year long, our team of experienced Epsom horse racing tipsters monitor the shape of prospective contenders and calculate all possible factors to provide you with the most likely results for the races held at Epsom Downs Racecourse.
We also have the most generous promo codes for sign-up deals that include bonuses like free bets, paid extra places, boosted odds, and more, in addition to the latest horse racing advice for races like The Epsom Derby.
Last time out in 2019, the odds for the Class 4 Epsom Handicap Flat Race ranged from 9/2 for the race favourite Swift Approval to 25/1 for the longest outsiders Black Medick and Incentive.
The 8/1 priced Key Player dominated this version of The Class 4 Epsom Handicap Flat Race, turning £10 outright stakes into £90 in returns and £80 in earnings.
Here are the previous 4 winners of The Class 4 Epsom Handicap Flat Race at The Epsom August Afternoon Racing, including their odds, closest competitors and race stats:
(2020 edition abandoned due to the Coronavirus pandemic)
The winner of The Class 4 Epsom Handicap Flat Race last time out at The Epsom August Afternoon Racing was 8/1 priced Key Player, ridden by jockey Charles Bishop and trained by Eve Johnson Houghton.
7/1 priced Juanito Chico finished a length and a quarter behind Key Player in second place, followed by 13/2 priced Highland Acclaim in third place and 25/1 priced outsider Black Medick in fourth.
At The Epsom August Afternoon Racing meeting in 2018, The Class 4 Epsom Handicap Flat Race was won by 3/1 race favourite Corazon Espinado, ridden by jockey Harry Bentley and trained by Simon Dow.
4/1 priced third-favourite Lady In Question finished two and a half lengths behind Corazon Espinado in second place, followed by 9/2 priced Pastoral Player in third place and 10/3 priced second-favourite Dourado in fourth.
Back in 2017 at Epsom Downs Racecourse, the winner of The Class 4 Epsom Handicap Flat Race for The Epsom August Afternoon Racing was 9/1 priced Favourite Royal, ridden by jockey Martin Dwyer and trained by Eve Johnson Houghton.
20/1 outsider Red Tycoon finished just half a length behind Favourite Royal in second place, followed by 15/2 priced Munfallet in third place and 5/1 priced joint second-favourite Tigerwolf in fourth.
11/4 race favourite Nouvelli Dancer won The Class 4 Epsom Handicap Flat Race at Epsom Downs Racecourse in 2016, ridden by jockey Silvestre De Sousa and trained by Ivan Furtado.
5/1 priced Dyllan finished just three-quarters of a length behind Nouvelli Dancer in second place, followed by 10/1 priced Giovanni Di Bicci in third place and 6/1 priced Take A Note in fourth.